Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Growing and Surviving Impatiens

My love for impatiens started years ago while being a stay at home mom.
I discovered gardening was a place where I found serenity a sense of calming.
A stress relief and rejuvenate in the small moments I spent gardening.
Spring and Summer became seasons I cherished, while fall and winter
were my times to study gardening, knit and or crochet.

Not being one that really like flowers, I found growing and taking care of them
outside, to be not only relaxing, but the effort so rewarding in there blooming.
Impatiens became a flower I seemed to plant everywhere. They are such a
forgiving plant. I don't think people realized these little cuties can be grown
nearly anywhere and right through the fall and winter months indoors.
Yes, Indoors!!

Simply take a cutting add a tiny bit of Miracle Grow Bloom Booster
to a glass of water making sure no leaves touch the water.
 Give them a few hours of light by putting a grow light in one of your lamps,
 or place them in a southern window. If they droop place them in a clear
plastic bag seal the top and walla there good to go.
 Don't you just love that little mason jar?

They come with a really good pesto inside. This sauce is awesome
and has so many uses. Great tasting simple sauce ready for dinner in no time, and
perfect for one or two people. And yes, they are Atlas Mason Jars 4 ounces.
Look familiar on the left?

I also like to use items like this small olive can.
I put black olives on my salads, the greens I get from my organic garden.
I keep the can a bit worn in appearance by leaving bits of the label attached.
 It gives character to the can and it's so adorable used as a rooting base
for impatiens.
 Again adding water and a bit of the Miracle Grow as mentioned above.

Once they root which takes about 2 to 4 weeks I will plant them in the same
small can, first, drilling 4 holes in the bottom adding a good organic soil like
 the one Miracle grow produces. I get it from Walmart at a low price.
Then, watch them grow through fall and all winter long.

Growing impatiens is truly easy.
Just keep them trimmed to the height you desire.
They are forgiving, should a piece of the stem get broken
off it has an amazing way of continuing to grow.
That same spot will produce new growth.
I suppose that's another thing I love about them.
No matter what happens to impatiens they are a survivor
and when broken they don't quit.
When I look at them I think if they can be broken and survive
 then why can't I....we all are living and breathing organisms.

I suppose that's why they are the only flowers I keep in my home.
They remind me no matter what happens in my life, surviving it,
learning from it, and moving forward is so important to growing....
I am a survivor! Are you?

Blessings, Daniella




No comments:

Post a Comment